Valentine's Day is fast approaching (it's February 14th for those of you who don't want angry looks from your partner/spouse!)
This is an event which over recent years has seen huge increases in overall ecommerce spending.
In the grey days of February it's a chance to show your loved ones you appreciate them with a gift or experience. In this short post we've pulled out some of the key statistics from previous Valentine's Days to give an insight into what we might expect from 2019.
Spending increasing overall
The data from a number of studies shows us that in general, the global spending for Valentine's Day is increasing.
- In fact, since 2014 the total figure has increased by as high as 49% when you include the data from both in-store and online purchases.
- What's more, the statistics also showed that the most common day for Valentine's Day spending is, you guessed it, the day before on February 13th! An average of 47.4 million transactions were made globally on that day alone (source).
Ecommerce continuing to grow
- As we're seeing across most calendar events, online spending is continually increasing for Valentine's Day – with a 37% increase in the number of e-commerce transactions in recent years.
- Furthermore, 35% of people are now regularly shopping both in-store and online as part of their Valentine's Day gift giving (source).
Europe leads the way for online purchasing
- Continuing the theme of online spending, Europeans are currently the biggest online shoppers proportionally, with 19% of their Valentine’s Day spending done on e-commerce sites (source).
Image Credit: Statista
- What's more, certain categories are growing more than others. Rather than conventional gifts, experiences, gift cards and restaurant visits are on the rise.
- In fact, the largest growth in Europe was in restaurants, up by 67% during the Valentine’s Day period since 2014 (source).
Image Credit: Postnord
- As we saw with our ecommerce guide to Sweden, mobile commerce is increasing rapidly year-on-year - particularly in the Nordic countries. Therefore, it could be a good idea to boost your mobile efforts - ensuring your website and product feed data is optimized for mobile browsing (source).
A good relationship is the key to success
We know that a good relationship is the reason for success- and that doesn't just apply to Valentine's Day!
That's why we're offering one month for free on the sales channel of your choice. You simply need to select the sales channel of your choice, send us your product feed data and we will optimize your listings for that channel...for free!
We want to share the love! Get your products listed in minutes on a new sales channel, reaching out to new audiences and new markets with your optimized data.
To find out more and take us up on this offer, simply sign up via the link below.